Faced with increasing competition from Western Reserve Medical School, Willoughby moved to Columbus to expand and improve its clinical facilities in 1846. The next year, prominent Columbus attorney Lyne Starling donated $30,000 to buy land and construct a new medical school and hospital. His donation established the Starling Medical College, the first teaching hospital in the United States.
Over the next six decades, the Starling Medical College merged several times—in 1892 with the Columbus Medical College and in 1907 with the Ohio Medical College when it became the Starling Ohio Medical College.
In 1914, the trustees of the Starling Ohio Medical College transferred all of their properties to the state of Ohio to establish a College of Medicine at The Ohio State University. At this time a hospital was also established, which later became University Hospitals.
In 1993, University Hospital, the College of Medicine and the Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Research Institute introduced the Ohio State University Medical Center concept representing a level of care unmatched in central Ohio. Today, Ohio State University Medical Center is well established as a leading medical center in Columbus, the midwest and the country with an unparalleled combination of expertise and services.
In 1999, OSU Medical Center purchased Park Medical Center in the near east side of Columbus. Renamed Ohio State University Hospital East, this hospital provides Ohio State quality care at a convenient community location. Areas of emphasis include emergency medicine, family medicine and orthopaedics.
The 2000 opening of Ohio State's Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute introduced one of the most advanced interdisciplinary facilities on the Ohio State campus.
In 2004, Ohio State’s Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital opened on the Medical Center campus. Today, the Ross Heart Hospital provides leading edge cardiovascular care and is central Ohio’s only heart and lung transplant center.
Ohio State University Medical Center ushered in a new era of discovery and growth in scientific study with the 2006 opening of our Biomedical Research Tower (BRT).
On June 18, 2010, the groundbreaking was held for the new James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute and Medical Center Expansion, the largest expansion project planned in Ohio State's history. The Medical Center Expansion project includes the new home of Ohio State’s Comprehensive Cancer Center – James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute and a new Critical Care Center.