The Ohio State University’s Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) are advanced-practice registered nurses who provide a lifetime of care for women. CNMs care for women during pregnancy, labor and birth, and throughout the many stages of their lives, from puberty through menopause.
Patients who choose midwifery care are provided evidence-based, safe, holistic care for childbearing and for a wide range of women’s needs. A Cochrane systematic review (2008) found that when women chose a midwife for their care during pregnancy and birth, they:
- had fewer hospitalizations during pregnancy
- had less use of anesthesia during labor and delivery
- had fewer episiotomies
- were less likely to have an instrumental delivery (i.e., vacuum or forceps)
- were more likely to report that they felt in control during childbirth
Why Choose Ohio State?
Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center offers a midwifery program that provides the type of care you want, when you want it. Our emphasis is on informed choice and shared decision-making. Our midwives are trained in gynecologic and obstetrical care and are experts in normal life processes, such as puberty, pregnancy, labor, birth, and menopause. Should any complications or high-risk situations arise, we work closely with a great, experienced team of collaborating physicians at OSU and can consult or refer as needed.
Here are just some of the reasons that women choose our midwives:
- We focus on providing personalized care, incorporating your individual needs into your care plan.
- We have premium delivery rooms for mothers-to-be, including renovated, private rooms and services for dads/partners/support people.
- We are the only hospital that offers hydrotherapy and water birth.
- Our midwives show a commitment to women and their birth choices by providing continuous labor support.
- Our state-of-the-art facility includes the latest equipment and resources for every kind of pregnancy and delivery.
- We offer hydrotherapy (laboring in the tub or shower).
Ohio State’s Midwifery Program offers comprehensive care in obstetrics and gynecology for women of all ages. Our midwives provide a compassionate approach to all aspects of women’s health care. We currently offer midwifery care at two locations. OSU CarePoint Gahanna offers full-scope women’s health care. This includes contraception, treatment for common infections, annual well-woman exams, prescriptions, and pregnancy, birth, and postpartum care. CarePoint Gahanna is currently accepting new patients. If you should develop a medical condition that needs more specialized treatment, they will refer you to an obstetrician or other specialist as needed.
Our Experts at CarePoint Gahanna
Patricia Dodge, CNM
Emily Neiman, CNM
Cassandra Sampsell, CNM
Rebecca Wagner, CNM
Laurie MacLeod, CNM
Ohio State’s Obstetrics and Gynecology
920 North Hamilton Road
Gahanna, Ohio 43230
Additionally, OSU has midwives available at the Ambulatory Care Center at University Hospital East. They also see patients at OSU Wexner Medical Center’s McCampbell Hall and at the Teen and Pregnant (TaP) Program at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. These midwives provide prenatal care only.
Elizabeth Austin, CNM
University Hosptial East
Ambulatory Care Center
1492 E. Broad St.
Columbus, Ohio 43205
We offer a variety of classes to help you prepare for the birth of your baby. View class descriptions and register online for a childbirth class.
Schedule a Tour of the Ohio State’s Maternity Center
Please join us for a tour by calling 614-293-5123 or toll-free 800-293-5123. You can also schedule your tour by registering online. Take a virtual tour of Ohio State’s Maternity Center.