The Maternity Center at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is a unique, comprehensive facility that provides family-centered maternity care to you, your baby and your partner. Because a birth is a family event, your family is incorporated into the birth experience as much as possible. We provide the comforts of home with the most advanced technology and experienced staff to give you the highest level of care, and peace of mind.
Our patients include women having vaginal deliveries, cesarean deliveries, vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) deliveries and high-risk deliveries including multiples and preterm deliveries.
Why Choose Ohio State?
Thousands of women choose to have their babies with us each year for many reasons:
- We practice family-centered care, so you and your baby are kept together throughout your stay, and your partner/support person can also stay with you 24/7.
- All of our comfortable, renovated rooms are private and feature your own bathroom and shower, meals of your choice, complimentary snacks, Wi-Fi access, a television and comfort items such as lip balm and hand sanitizer.
- Our staff is certified in fetal monitoring and uses innovative equipment.
- We offer around-the-clock physician coverage, including anesthesiologists.
- We are among the first to incorporate new recommendations from top medical associations for baby and mother's care.
- Our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is available for newborns requiring extra attention due to prematurity or complications.
- You can take comfort in knowing that should the unexpected happen, Ohio State is prepared.
- To help you prepare for your stay, click here to learn a few tips on what to expect before, during and after your delivery.
Our comprehensive care includes:
Labor and delivery — We emphasize keeping you with your baby and partner/support person as much as possible. We also encourage breastfeeding and skin-to-skin contact soon after birth.
After delivery/postpartum and newborn care — Our center offers all private rooms with space for your baby and support person to stay with you overnight. We also have 24/7 pediatric coverage, dining-on-demand featuring a personalized menu and a free continental breakfast for your partner/support person.
Lactation consultants — Our registered nurses, who are also specially certified in lactation, will see you at least once during your stay (and more often if you wish) to help you get started with breastfeeding.
In-hospital bed-rest/antepartum care — We give special attention to women with pregnancy complications. In addition to medical care for your unique needs, this service includes a variety of activities such as baby showers and educational programs.
- Deborah Bartholomew, MD
- Cynthia Evans, MD
- Melissa Goist, MD
- Geri Hewitt, MD
- Michelle Isley, MD
- Arthur James, MD
- Lisa Keder, MD
- Jacqueline Rohl, MD
- Linbee Sayat, MD
- Jonathan Schaffir, MD
- Katherine Strafford, MD
- Wayne Trout, MD
- Valerie Waddell, MD
- Mark Landon, MD
- Edmund Funai, MD
- Stephen Thung, MD
- David Colombo, MD
- Jay Iams, MD
- Wanjiku Musindi, MD
- Richard O'Shaughnessy, MD
- Mona Prasad, DO
- Britton Rink, MD
- Philip Samuels, MD
- Cynthia Shellhaas, MD
Ohio State's Maternity Center
Columbus, Ohio 43210