Ohio State Navbar

Sign In

Latex Allergy


Latex is a milky fluid that comes from the tropical rubber tree. Hundreds of everyday products contain latex. Repeated exposure to a protein in natural latex can make you more likely to develop a latex allergy. If your immune system detects the protein, a reaction can start in minutes. You could get a rash, asthma and in rare cases shock from latex exposure.

Your doctor may use a physical exam and skin and blood tests to diagnose it. There are medicines to treat a reaction, but it is best to try to avoid latex. Common latex products include
  • Gloves
  • Condoms
  • Balloons
  • Rubber bands
  • Shoe soles
  • Pacifiers
You can find latex-free versions of these products.

Schedule an appointment with Ohio State's allergy and asthma experts. Call 614-293-4925.