We want to ensure that you continue to receive the best care possible after you are discharged from the hospital. That is why you, your family and your healthcare team will discuss your discharge plan as soon as you arrive to the hospital. Together, we can work on issues such as where you will go after discharge, what assistance or equipment you will need, and how these will be provided.
Before you leave the hospital, you and your family should know:
- What medicines you are taking, and when and how to take them.
- What the possible side effects are of any medicines you are to take and what you should do if you have side effects.
- What follow-up procedures will need to be done.
- Whether special equipment will be needed.
- What changes are needed in your diet or what foods you should limit or avoid.
- Any limits on your activity.
- When you need to return to your doctor for a follow-up visit.
- How medications, services and other healthcare items will be paid for.
- Who you can call with questions.
Before you leave the hospital, you and your family should consider:
- Whether there is another person, who is in good health, in your home to help you if you need it.
- Whether you have problems with stairs, doorways, getting to a phone or to your bed.
- Whether you will need help from others. Will someone need to help you with personal care, getting meals or doing housework? Are you going to need help with your medicines or treatments? Are younger or older family members or pets going to need care? Do you need someone to drive you to appointments?
- For information about services available to you in your community, please contact the Continuum of Care Office at 614-293-8427 (OSU Campus) and at University Hospital East, call the Patient Care Resource Manager office at 614-257-3257.
11 a.m. Checkout Time
In order to help you get home and settled early the day of your discharge, the designated checkout time for the hospital is 11 a.m. We will try to keep you informed about your discharge plans so that you can have your family member or friend who will be taking you home arrive at the hospital before 11 a.m. We suggest you use our valet parking services the day of discharge. When you are ready to go home, call Valet Parking at 614-293-7159 and your vehicle will be pulled up for you.