The Hand and Upper Extremity Center at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center provides comprehensive care including diagnosis, treatment, surgery and rehabilitation for hand or upper extremity conditions, all in one convenient location. A team of healthcare professionals with different areas of expertise work together to provide your care for conditions or injuries affecting the fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder.
We provide comprehensive care and rehabilitation for patients with:
- Arthritis (inflammation) in fingers
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (a condition caused by compression of key nerve in the wrist resulting in numbness, weakness and pain in the hands and fingers)
- Cubital tunnel syndrome (a repetitive stress injury with severe pain and/or numbness in the elbow and ring and little finger)
- Dislocations (joint injuries that force the ends of bones out of position)
- Distal radioulnar conditions (inflammation in the wrist joint)
- Fractures (break in a bone)
- Joint replacements
- Repetitive stress injuries (a type of injury from recurrent stress)
- Shoulder and elbow disorders
- Soft tissue injuries (damage to muscles, ligaments and tendons)
- Sports injuries
- Tendon lacerations (cuts)
- Tendonitis (inflammation of a tendon)
- Traumatic injuries (crush injuries, severed limbs or nerves, burns)
- Work-related injuries
Why Choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
Our innovative Hand and Upper Extremity Center has the experience to help you return to maximum functionality and a quality lifestyle. There are many reasons to choose our programs and services:
- Our experienced hand surgeons performed more than 2,000 surgeries, treatments and procedures last year.
- All diagnostic testing, treatment, surgery and rehabilitation services are conveniently performed in one location.
- Our team includes occupational therapists with special training and certification in hand and upper extremity care.
- Our surgeons perform minimally invasive (endoscopic) carpal tunnel surgery, which uses smaller incisions and results in a faster recovery.
- As a Level I Trauma Center, we have hand surgeons available to treat all levels of traumatic hand and upper extremity injuries.
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Orthopaedics Program is ranked by U.S.News & World Report as one of the premier sites in the country for orthopaedic surgery.
- Since The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available.
The Hand and Upper Extremity Center offers rehabilitation services to help in each phase of your rehabilitation – from services offered in the hospital (known as inpatient services) to those offered after returning home (known as outpatient services). These services offer a continuum of care to help achieve your highest level of recovery.
Your treatment program is personalized to help you restore range of motion, decrease pain and increase strength, and may include:
- Joint replacement surgery
- Microsurgery (uses operating microscopes and miniaturized precision instruments)
- Minimally invasive procedures (such as carpal tunnel surgery)
- Reconstructive surgery (corrective surgery to repair the body due to birth defects, disease or trauma)
- Postoperative care
- On-site imaging services
- Electromyography (EMG) (a diagnostic test that measures muscle response or electrical activity in response to a nerve's stimulation of the muscle)
- Hand function assessment
- Occupational therapy (helps patients participate in activities of daily living)
- Splinting and casting
Your Treatment Team
Your personalized treatment plan is implemented by a team of specialists who may include:
- Orthopaedic surgeons (specialize in surgery for muscular and skeletal conditions)
- Plastic surgeons (specialize in the repair, restoration or improvement of parts of the body)
- Neurologists (specialize in disorders of the nervous system)
- Physician assistants (practice medicine under the supervision of physicians and surgeons)
- Nurse practitioners (registered nurses with advanced training in a medical specialty)
- Occupational therapists (specialize in improving patients' ability to complete activities of daily living)
- Hand and Upper Extremity Center
(Within The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Eye and Ear Institute)
915 Olentangy River Road, Suite 3200
Columbus, OH 43212
614-366-HAND (4263) Toll free: 866-298-HAND (4263)
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Map & Directions
Additional Specialized Services
Your rehabilitation team may recommend additional rehab services that may include: