Rehabilitation Psychology focuses on behavioral and psychological treatment for patients and families coping with chronic illness, chronic pain and disability. Our Division of Rehabilitation Psychology treats adults with disabilities related to physical, sensory, cognitive and emotional functioning.
Our areas of specialization include:
- Neuropsychology (study of the brain and its effect on function and behavior)
- Brain injury (such as stroke or traumatic brain injury)
- Chronic pain
- Stress-related disorders
- Coping with disability
Why Choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
There are many reasons to choose our programs and services:
- There are only seven board-certified rehabilitation psychologists in Ohio. Five of these experts are members of our staff. No other healthcare system in Ohio offers the depth of expertise and experience found in our Division of Rehabilitation Psychology.
- We are proud that our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- For 19 consecutive years, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has been ranked among the best in the country by U.S.News & World Report.
- Since The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available.
Rehabilitation Psychology offers services to help in each phase of your rehabilitation – from treatment offered in the hospital (known as inpatient services) to those offered after returning home (known as outpatient services). These services offer a continuum of care to help achieve your highest level of recovery.
Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center offers comprehensive rehabilitation psychology services including:
- Cognitive remediation – enhances your ability to think, focus and remember
- Health and behavior counseling – helps you understand your medical conditions and provides advice on how to make behavior changes to improve life satisfaction
- Managed work or school re-entry services – helps you make a smooth transition back into the work or school setting
- Neuropsychological assessment – offers objective testing to provide insights into the capabilities you have after brain injury. Psychologists use tests and interviews to evaluate your abilities in areas such as attention span, memory, concentration, problem solving, social judgment and sensory awareness
- Psychological assessment – provides insight on your personality characteristics, expectations, social skills and current stresses and how they affect school, work and independent living
- Psychological counseling – helps you align attitudes and emotions with the need to change your behavior
Psychological and neuropsychological assessments are recommended for a variety of reasons – to better understand how you are doing today, as well as plan for your treatment and recovery. A complete assessment enables our rehabilitation psychologists to recommend specific techniques to help you function at your best. Full assessments typically include:
- Interviews with you, family members and significant others
- Review of medical, rehabilitation, educational or work records
- Testing of thinking skills such as attention, memory, learning ability, problem solving and language
- Testing emotional status and psychological issues
- Communicating feedback and results to you, family members and treating professionals
- Recommendations and treatment plans
Your Treatment Team
Your assessment and personalized treatment plan are implemented by psychologists who are faculty members of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center.