The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and James Cancer Hospital offer a variety of volunteer assignments to provide service and gain valuable insight into the hospital environment. Student interests and availability are taken into consideration when determining assignments.
Note: This is a weekly volunteer program, if you will be unavailable more than 2 weeks during the summer this would not be a good fit.
- Making a difference in the lives of patients and families
- Parking at no charge when volunteering
- Gift Shop discount on OSU logo items
- Being a part of The Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center
- Assisting staff in patient care areas
- Providing information and assistance to visitors and patients
- We request a minimum of 20 hours. Volunteer shifts are one 2-3 hour shift per week.
- Most positions are daytime, weekday, with limited evening and weekend shifts available.
What is required?
- 16 years of age by June 1st
- Application, information session and orientation
- Recommendation form to be completed by teacher, guidance counselor, or principal
- There may be additional screening/training based on assignment
- Criminal background check to be performed by the Medical Center
- Purchase a volunteer uniform in the hospital gift shop for approximately $20
- Email address for student (or parent); this is our primary way of communicating to our volunteers
- To apply, print application, obtain necessary information and mail to the appropriate location.
Whom do I contact?
- Medical Center: students may contact Carrie Houts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (614) 293-6294
- The James: students may contact Katie Kiene at email@example.com or call (614) 293-4663
Click on link for application packet